Oct 3, 2010

Farmer's Market on SFSU

On Sep. 30th, I have visited SFSU Farmer's Market as a part of field observation.

Finally, I have found the sign of the market! This is located near the Health Care Center. To me, this image seems to present ASI's aim for planting the idea which SFSU and students can be healthy by living Green. So, this is a nicely presented logo for the farmer's market.

The reason I came here for the day was to observe the current ASI's action for the local food movement, students' behavior, and the way of communicating in the farmer's market, so that I can figure out valuable elements for further research and development.


Here, there is an information center where the the director and a few members of ASI are sitting and open to answer any questions. Aslo on the table, there are tip sheets for eating right and recipes using local foods, provided by Students Dietetic Association, SFSU Nutrition Clinic, and American Dietetic Association. This is a suitable place to educate students about values of consuming local foods. However, the place is not leaping out that much.


And another thing, I have never found information of participating farmers, the products lined up, and how the consumption of local foods effects our environment.


On the day, I have met Horace Montgomery, a director of ASI Farmer's Market, as one of my panel of experts. Thanks to his answering my questions, my directions are getting clear. I will post his opinions and suggestions later on this blog.



In addition, I was able to interview one of participatinf farmers, and we were able to discuss the benefit of local foods. I will post our discussion later on this blog, also. I am planing to visit them and discuss the present state of carbon footprint next week.


They are so sweet and gave a lot of fresh fruits to me at the end of our conversation! This is also the value of buying foods from local farmers, building a friendly relationship between consumers and producers.

No comments:

Post a Comment